Friday, April 27, 2007

The John Legend Concert

Now hot fitting is it that I'm listening to my John Legend while talking about his concert. In a word....DAMN....he's the truth :). Let's start out with the beginning. I go with the wife, and give 2 tickets I purchased to my client and his fiance' as an engagement gift. We arrive just in time...as we're actually walking to our seats..the house lights go down.
Now this girl...Corrine Bailey Rae....I hear all kind of good things about her. My man tells me she's the shiznit...my wife tells me she performed on the Grammy's..one of my people tells me how I need to REALLY know about her...so I'm expecting big things from her. I mean...this is Madison Square Garden isn't it? An opening act for John Legend. I'm looking for great things. As I said..the house lights go down...my seats are not the greatest because I missed the presale..so we're on the side..the guy in back of me says "clap clap..is John Legend coming out?" I quietly think to myself "damn...stop being ignorant" (Ignoring that was actually me....a few years ago). Rae steps out on stage, and WHAT THE HELL WAS SHE WEARING? I'm tired of hearing "well, it's the style". There is sexy, and there is not sexy, I don't care what's in or out of fashion. She comes out with those black stockings and little heels that I hate....these silver shoes that my wife instructs me matches her dress. Now she can sing...but no crowd control or energy to speak of After every song the guy in back of me keeps saying to his girl "Clap clap..yeah...is this the last song finally?". And I am quietly agreeing with him 100 percent. Anyway...after an agonizingly long set for me....keeping in mind that yes, she did tear up this Led Zepplin song I don't believe I've heard..she finally gets off stage.
I start thinking about how much money I've spent on these tickets...how much I don't really like his second album..and wondering to myself...is he going to be worth these damn tickets..I mean, I have his Live at SOB's performance on my Ipod..but after the Corrine episode..what am I in for?

The houselights go down a second time...the intro music starts to play (the same intro on his first album).......John Legend steps out on stage in a pair of white linen or khaki type of pants.....a white jacket with a simple grey shirt underneath.....the lights focus on him, he steps up to the mic..now mind you he is probably about 5'6" or 5'9" in that area, he is clearly not a tall man....and he steps to the mic..the crowd is screaming..and from the moment he opens his mouth...he mesmirizes Madison Square Garden. I don't remember the exact order of the songs..but everything you want to hear...he performs with an energy..you just can't learn as an artist...you either it or you don't. His energy flows from whever inside his body it comes from through his voice into the mic and encompasses the crowd.....all the way to my sorry ass seats :)...

This is how an artist should perform. No fancy light show. Now phenomenal backup singers to push him that extra level. John Legend, his piano and his mic...rocked the Garden for a little over an hour......at one point he dances with a woman in the crowd.....takes off his jacket (driving the women crazy).......just keeps that high energy for the entire performance...leaving me incredibly satisfied...hell yeah..another hot concert to be filed in my memory....looking forward to his next album and tour :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home